WHAT IS A CHRISTIAN FAMILY?
I got these definitions of a family from some dictionaries
- A Group Of Individuals Living Under One Roof And Usually Under One Head
- A Group Of People United By Certain Convictions Or A Common Affiliation
- The Basic Unit In Society Traditionally Consisting Of Two Parents Rearing Their Children
This definitions may not satisfy what a Christian family is.
A Christian family is that which has both father and mother as believers
(Parents that have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and saviour and who daily live their lives in agreement with God’s word). They also go ahead to raise believers as children. Malachi 2:15
FEATURES OF A CHRISTIAN FAMILY MAN
A Christian family man is;
- A man
- A husband and
- A father
- A man who is a priest in his home.
- He has discipleship as agenda for his family.
- Never ready to take any member of his family for granted.
- He is a man who treats everyone in his house as kings and queen.
- A man who teaches his family the way of the Lord. Genesis 18:19
- A man that is never ready to compromise his stand and faith in God
- A man who stands in the gap always for his family
FEATURES OF A CHRISTIAN FAMILY WOMAN
A Christian family woman is;
- A woman
- A wife and
- A mother
She is a woman that possesses all character of a virtuous woman according to Proverbs 31: 10-31 (Lets open to look at these characters one after the other)
- A wife of noble character who can find?She is worth far more than rubies. 11. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value 12. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.13.She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. 14.She is like the merchant ships,bringing her food from afar. 15. She gets up while it is still night;she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants. 16. She considers a field and buys it;out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. 17. She sets about her work vigorously;her arms are strong for her tasks. 18. She sees that her trading is profitable,and her lamp does not go out at night. 19. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. 20. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. 21. When it snows, she has no fear for her household;for all of them are clothed in scarlet. 22. She makes coverings for her bed;she is clothed in fine linen and purple. 23. Her husband is respected at the city gate,where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. 24. She makes linen garments and sells them,and supplies the merchants with sashes. 25. She is clothed with strength and dignity;she can laugh at the days to come. 26. She speaks with wisdom,and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 27. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 28. Her children arise and call her blessed;her husband also, and he praises her. 29. “Many women do noble things,but you surpass them all.” 30. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. 31. Honor her for all that her hands have done,and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
- She is a Christian to the core
- Always teaching her children about God.
The combination of these two people in marriage eventually raise a Christian children under God. This home eventually becomes a family of Christ.
FEATURES OF A CHRISTIAN FAMILY
A Christian family does not drop from heaven but comes into life by the continuous work and prayer of the parents involved. The parents should be ready to work at it with conscious effort of achieving same.
- Jesus is the master of the home
- The Bible is their constitution
- Love is in the atmosphere of the home
- Morning devotion is key
- Personal fellowship with God is encouraged
- There is mutual understanding between father and mother
- No hiding place for the children to do wrong
- Academics of the children is taken with all seriousness
- Good character upbringing is major
- Father and mother are mentors among many
I watched a film recently titled “two nations” this film featured two families. One of the family has a lion as father, who shouts always at everything. The children calls him “Mr. Pepper” never ready to listen to anyone. Abuse, curse and do all sorts to the wife and children. To make matter worse, they have a Tiger as mother. She doesn’t see any good in the lives of the children. She wakes them up with curse and they eventually raised demons (cultist) as children. Their only daughter committed suicide. They lost all because Jesus was missing in their home.
The second family has a shepherd as father. He wakes up the children with pleasant words of blessing. He calls his Children blessed with words of prayer. They have a Dove as a mother, she draws them (the children) close to her with tender words of love. No wonder they raised sheep as children who later in life became great people in their career because Jesus was a key factor in that home.
It takes only God to raise a Christian family. If Jesus is not in that home, no matter how good you may be and things may look, raising a Christian home will be impossible. Some children could be raised as moralists but honestly, such cannot go far when challenges of the world comes. Matthew 7:24-27
THE BIG QUESTION
What type of a home is yours?